The free app Recordium, which hit the IOS market on May 25, instantly soared to the top of tech round-ups all over the web. We admit, we were intrigued, but would it really color our world? Our basic rule for an app to remain on our devices is that it must be more than cool. It must serve a purpose, and serve it often. Forever skeptics, we doubted that this would be something more than another amusing app with little practical use to most people, but there was only one way to find out. We downloaded it immediately, and began to conjure up ways to apply it to everyday life, daring Recordium to prove its worthiness, or end up in the trash bin with so many other fad-apps.
For those who share our app-mantra, which clearly states “If you aren’t going to help me, get off my IOS,” this is one app that you will want to keep, no matter what your lifestyle demands. When we began using Recordium in May, we applied it to every aspect of our world. We found more reasons to use it the more we took advantage of all it offered, such as:
• Highlighting important places in the recording
• Taking snippets of the important portions of the recording to be placed in a separate file
• Audio format options such as AIFF, WAV, CAF and MP4
• Audio Quality options
• File sharing options
• The ability to make annotations associated with a specific section of the recording
Yes, the tech-angels were singing, and we danced to every beautiful note. We could find no aspect of life that Recordium couldn’t improve upon.
- The text of an email can now be replaced with an easily recorded message playable on any device. Emotions no longer needing to be relayed with emoticons and creative punctuation. This brings business and personal relationships to a whole new level.
- Soldiers stationed in foreign lands, far from familiar faces, can play back the message at any time and find comfort in the familiar voice of a loved one.
- Colleagues can reduce the chance for miscommunication that occurs with the written word, without waiting for a time all parties are free to hold a live conversation.
- The voicemails that some keep for legal purposes, or because they hold sentimental value, can now be played and recorded through Recordium for eternal preservation.
- The meeting that one knows from experience is going to be, yet another, painful 90 minutes, can now be discreetly recorded and edited later for the only 15 minutes of content that really matter. With the aide of some acting talent, other work can be accomplished while the presenter drones on, reading slide after slide. Participants need only to set the recording, and APPEAR to be listening intently through strategic use of the occasional eyebrow raise, appropriate chuckle, and obligatory head-nod every so often. Presenter is none the wiser, and participant need not suffer any more. Yes. We know. This thought alone brings tears of joy to the eye. Please take a moment if you need it, but only a short one.
There are many reasons to download this app, but none we could find that justifies waiting to do so.
NOTE: If you haven’t downloaded it yet, be aware that this “free” app, was scheduled to be available at a cost as of June 1, but has yet to have made the switch.